Monday, September 7, 2009

summer ends

The last few grains of sand fall from this summers hourglass and the same bitter sweet feelings about the dieing of summer and the birth of the frozen winter are all too familiar.

First off, weather wise, this summer in the Midwest was crap. It was cold and rainy, although good for running, bad for enjoying the summer air and swimming. Living in the Midwest and having such a long, cold and snow filled winter having a cold summer is just a slap in the face. We pack so much into our summers to enjoy it as much as possible and by the end we are all just run down. After weddings, trips, relay and summer parties my friends and I are all looking for a good break. Not from each other or fun or even the summer-ish weather but from spending money and time away. From June to September there are seventeen weekends and I was, or will be, gone or had major plans for eleven of them. And, like I lamented in my other summer time posts art and design have suffered greatly from my busy schedule. Not only where my weekends filled but having a non regular schedule my Mondays are really important to get work done. I had a good stretch in July and August where I only had a few Monday to work so in short I am still really behind. I've been working on the same few projects, making progress, but still plugging slowly away.

Another sign, non weather related, that summer is coming to a close is when my friends and I start to gather our fall/winter '09 race schedule. I'll be starting my racing in mid September and will provide some racing reports later.

It was nice to be finishing up summer yesterday with my girlfriend doing a bike pub crawl for charity. The charity was to help American Brain Tumor Association and children fighting life-threatening diseases. We donated some money to a good cause, rode thirty miles on our mountain bikes and had some tall beverages. Great time but my legs hate me today. The real end of summer is coming soon and me and my girlfriend will be closing summer in Chicago this weekend. Going to have a great time and see U2 all at the same time.

Another great summer leaves us. Had an amazing time with my girlfriend and my friends. Made wonderful memories and spent time with the people I love all summer and witnessed wonderful moments and weddings, parties, races and just small moments away.

After this coming weekend no more lamenting about art and design not finished. I managed to get some stuff done in the little moments and will be looking forward to posting some of the great work I've been putting together.

Now I leave summer with this. I remember liking this song at the beginning of summer and feel it's a fitting end. I think The Cold War Kids will be a band I get more involved with in the near future. There is a line in the song that says "How's it going to feel when summer ends. Out of money. Out of friends". Well I am not out of money and never will be but, money is gone. Without reading to much into this songs I dig it and feel it's a great way to close summer.

Enjoy!

1 comment: