Sunday, December 26, 2010

music of the year 2010 part 1 of 2

Now in it's third year and a tradition I look forward too, my favorite music list. If you've been following my previous music of the year awards I've changed things from 2008 to 2009 and this year is no exception.

Will the two previous years awards shared a similar format this year I'm completely reinventing my list and going with a straight forward top 20 list format. I think the new format will be easier to read and a bit more traditional. Although I kinda think lists are a bit ridiculous because how can you really quantify the difference between a 6 and a 5. But, I'm going for it anyway. I really like this new format and hope everyone reading does too.

So here is the list format. There are two lists. The first list is a straight forward list of 10 albums I liked that weren't released in 2010 and that is in no particular order. Just 10 albums I dug.

The second list is a top 20 list of my favorite albums of 2010 that were all released in 2010. And for the very few that have read my lists before you'll see a few familiar awards pop up.

I hop you enjoy part one of my favorite music of 2010.

I purchased close to 70 albums this year, doubling any previous year, let get started.

Top 10 not from 2010

01. Darkest Hour “The Eternal Return”
02. Danzig III “How the Gods Kill” Rediscovered Album of the Year
03. Horse the Band “Desperate Living”
04. Obits “I Blame You”
05. El Michels Affair “Enter the 37th Chamber”
06. Dr. Dooom “Dr. Dooom 2”
07. Blakroc “Blakroc”
08. Fucked Up “The Chemistry of Common Life”
09. Motorhead “Ace of Spades”
10. Mariachi El Bronx “El Bronx”

Here is the first part of my two part list of top 20 album of 2010. 20-16

20. Against Me! “White Crosses”
Easily the bands most mainstream and polished albums to date and although some punk and hardcore grit is polished off, from start to finish this album is chalk full of poetry, life and puck rock anthems.

19. Bleeding Through “Bleeding Through”
I listened to Bleeding Through's previous album Declaration a lot at the beginning of the year and was pumped for the bands next effort. Their self titled release is great and the band is doing what they do best I just wish I could have gotten into this album a bit more than I did. Still a great listen.

18. The Bled “Heat Fetish”
Anything new by The Bled is great. Having gone through quite a few line up changes in the past few years it's fantastic to see this band persevere and create new material. A great album but it kinda got lost in everything else that came out this year. There is still a "Pass the Flask" or "Found in the Flood" or even better left in this band. I hope to hear more from them in the future.

17. Wu Massacre “Wu Massacre”
It's been quite a few years since the Wu ruled the hip hop scene but the Wu hasn't come close to falling off. Although not their finest work Wu Massacre is a solid effort from Method Man, Ghostface Killah and Raekwon and a great addition to the work put out in the past couple years by the Wu alumni.

16. Carpathian “Wanderlust”
My first album from Deathwish Inc. but definitely not the only band representing that label on this list year. It can be said that Deathwish hosts a lot of bands I listed to this year. Hailed as a stand alone work and not just an EP place holder between albums Carpathian's Wanderlust EP was a great introduction to dark, melodic and crushing hardcore band that I will following now for a long time and I think you all should too.

1 comment:

Dental Recall Cards said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.